Wednesday, February 10, 2010

beginning again to begin again

The new year has been rich so far with the beginning of the last semester in the Parsons MFA program. I have been working on several paintings, and working from photos taken in the suburbs of Southern California. You can see the progress in my studio below.

As Michael Auping wrote of Robert Bechtle's photorealistic paintings of California in the 70s, I also wish to "create a slightly incomplete portrait of the American experience. At the same time, there is a certain emptiness in these scenes, a disturbing suggestion of incomplete lives".

My goals in this thesis semester are to pursue this "dark underbelly" in my work, the thread which has always existed, but has lacked strong presence. Like a stranger standing behind me, I can hear it's breathe, I can feel the goosebumps running along my arm, but can't quite grasp the sense of unease.


adding elements to photos using photoshop



3'x4' painting in progress in the studio


tomorrow is here!

some may call it messy, i call it inspiration






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your work! Keep more coming and I'll be sure to check in here more often! you're awsome Mary!

    ReplyDelete